Tuesday 2 September 2014

Why Usain Bolt didn't play cricket

Highlights from the Jamaican sprinter's interaction with the media in Bangalore where he will play an exhibition cricket game with Yuvraj Singh.

Bolt during his interaction with the media in Bangalore, September 2. Bolt during his interaction with the media in Bangalore, September 2.
Nobody complained that the fastest man in the world was running late but when Usain Bolt finally struck the stage in Bangalore, his entry anticipated by thunderous music and archival footage, the effect was strangely disarming. Limned against the darkness in a ‘lightning’ pose, Bolt proved unequivocally through the next thirty minutes that swiftness in his being was not confined to just the limbs. His most surprising offering though was the absolute candidness with which he approached the interaction.
His link to cricket: I watched a lot of cricket as a kid. We had two TVs in the house. One was in my room. My father was a huge cricket fan and he couldn’t watch the matches at strange times with my mother sleeping. So he used to watch them in my room.

Why he didn’t take cricket up: Blame my father for that. When I was in school I had two options. Cricket or athletics. I chose track because my father said there would be less competition to make it into the national team.

On his cricket skills: Didn’t you see what I did to Chris Gayle? (Bolt had famously bowled Gayle and smacked him for a six in a charity game in 2009. Video below.)


Fastest cricketer: Certainly not Chris Gayle. That South Africa cricketer (AB de Villiers) is really quick.

On athletics in India: A lot them (Indian children) may have talent to run but they’ll never find out ‘coz all they want to do is play cricket.

What goes through his head at the starting gun: If you’re thinking about something then you’re in the wrong sport.

How he trains: I train Monday to Saturday. Work out in the gym for an hour. Train for two-three hours depending on the hotness…train longer in winters. Come home and do core work for a few hours. Totally I train for about six hours every day,

His focus: From the time I was around 15 the 200 m has become my favourite event. There is room for improvement in the timing and a sub-19s time is my target.  Pushing in the 200m will also help me attack the 100m.

Most memorable field moment: Surprisingly it’s not from some big event but from when I was 15. It was the World Juniors in Jamaica that I won in front of my home crowd.

On showboating: I saw I was going to win and was just happy. When you see all your accomplishments coming true after all that hard work it’s a great feeling,

On his plans: One more season after Rio (2016). Then I’ll play football though I don’t know how good I will be at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment